The Five Rules for Measuring and Managing Customer Emotions
A lot of the behavioral sciences can feel intimidating. However, it doesn’t have to be. The Five Rules Podcast Series is our attempt at giving you an easy entry point into the complex and messy world of Behavioral Science.
Ignoring emotion in your Customer Experience strategy is a big mistake and one you can’t afford to make. Emotions are a significant influence on customer behavior with implications for your customer retention, customer loyalty, and, perhaps most importantly, customer-driven growth. Incorporating ways to measure and manage customer emotions is critical for your business strategy today.
Key Ideas to Improve your Customer Experience
Managing emotions can feel overwhelming. Many times we hear from clients that they don’t know where to start. However, we have a plan that can set you up for success, empower your thinking, and help you tackle this critical task.
In this episode, we discuss The 5 Rules for Measuring and Managing Customer Emotions, which are:
- Be specific.
- Define which emotions drive the most value for you.
- Measure the specific emotions across the customer journey.
- Design the emotions into your journey maps.
- Train your people on how to evoke emotions.
Here are some highlights of the discussion:
- 02:58 We discuss why being specific about the emotions is critical and a significant improvement on breaking down emotions into “positive” and “negative.”
- 05:29 We break down rule number two into two parts: figuring out how customers feel coming into your experience and defining what you want them to feel when they leave.
- 07:59 Colin shares a story of when a German insurance actuary gave him the idea for research with the London School of business, and the subject of his third book.
- 15:06 We clarify why you should measure your success with evoking the desired emotion, not only at a top level, but throughout the experience so you can respond appropriately where you should.
- 19:17 We tell you why your journey maps need you to design emotions into them with specific actions and deliberate strategy.
- 22:24 Colin explains how his marriage of nearly 40 years has taught him that training people in emotional intelligence is a winning strategy for any business (or marriage, for that matter).
Please tell us how we are doing! Complete this short survey.
Customer Experience Information & Resources
LinkedIn recognizes Colin Shaw as one of the ‘World’s Top 150 Business Influencers.’ As a result, he has 289,000 followers of his work. Shaw is Founder and CEO of Beyond Philosophy LLC, which helps organizations unlock growth by discovering customers’ hidden, unmet needs that drive value ($). The Financial Times selected Beyond Philosophy LLC as one of the best management consultancies for the last two years. Follow Colin on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Click here to learn more about Professor Ryan Hamilton of Emory University.
Why Customers Buy: As an official “Influencer” on LinkedIn, Colin writes a regular newsletter on all things Customer Experience. Click here to join the other 22,000 subscribers.
Experience Health Check: You already have an experience, even if you weren’t deliberate about it. Our Experience Health Check can help you understand what you have today. Colin or one of our team can assess your digital or physical Customer Experience, interacting with your organization as a customer to define what is good and what needs improving. Then, they will provide a list of recommendations for critical next steps for your organization. Click here to learn more.
How can we help?
Click here to learn more about Beyond Philosophy’s Suite of Services